Leg It Lancashire
Getting Lancashire Running
What is Leg it Lancashire?
Leg it Lancashire is the all-encompassing support offer for Beginner Running across the County.
Lancashire Sport Partnership works with a number of partners; England Athletics, Educational Establishments, Workplaces, Community Groups, Mums groups and so on, to encourage individuals from 12 years+ to create a healthier lifestyle through running.
We currently have a database of over 230 Run Leaders (approx. 80% female), which equates to over 100 groups and 2,000 runners.
The majority of the make-up of these groups are females (approx. 90%) so Leg it Lancashire is a real opportunity to engage female participation in sport and physical activity.
We believe the Beginner Running Group model is replicable and sustainable; run by trained volunteers and organically grown through word of mouth and family and friends.
- Identify someone who is ‘suitable’ to become a Run Leader (over 18 years old)
- Lancashire Sport will subsidise the cost of the Leaders in Running Fitness (LIRF) training
- LSP to send over Voucher Code to register for free
- Use this code to register online (http://tinyurl.com/hlm6xf2) onto a LIRF course
- Start to promote and market the group
- Qualified and Insured Leader to start beginner running group(s) to those who are 12 years old and above
- Sign up to the Leg it Lancashire Run Leader Facebook group
- Incentivise to sustain runners
Contact for more info - Martin Heald 01772 299830 / email@example.com
Lancashire Sport Partnership currently offer a LIRF bursary as part of this program which subsidises the associated costs. We have noted that there are a number of ‘Hot Spots’ across the County which have yet to access the bursary which are:
Morecambe Bay, Fleetwood, Rural ‘in-land’ Wyre and Fylde, and Pennine Lancs (specifically A59 corridor).
- Hot Spots – will receive a bursary of £110 towards the course
- All Other Areas – will receive a bursary of £60 towards the course
You will need to apply for this funding before you attend the training and we will not be able to fund anyone retrospectively. There is a maximum of 4 applications per club in a 12-month period, unless otherwise agreed. The bursary will be offered on the quality of the application so please make sure you complete all sections, particularly adding as much detail into section 2. The applicant will be notified within two weeks of their submission if their application is successful. All applicants are eligible to receive a further bursary (equating to £35) towards a First Aid course organized through Lancashire Sport.
Leadership in Running Fitness Course
If you are passionate about running and would like to train as a run leader to inspire adults to change their lives through running, please contact Martin Heald, on 01772 299834 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to book onto the course.
Please note to obtain your England Athletics licence you must obtain a UK Athletics CRB check.
Who should attend the course?
Anyone (18+) with interest in running for fitness who would like to lead a group in and around their local community.
What does the course entail?
One day classroom and practical session, no assessment.
What will I learn?
The course focuses on the safe organisation of running activity and how to lead a group of any inexperienced runners. Topics include:
- The barriers preventing people taking up running
- What a leader can do to make the difference
- How to deliver a safe and fun warm up and cool down
- The different types of running activity that can make the sessions varied and enjoyable
What will I be able to do as a result?
The course is designed to prepare you as a Leader to provide a safe and enjoyable running experience for people over 12 years old. As a Leader you may set up and register with the Run England network which will provide you with news, resources and marketing materials. Your qualification will provide you with insurance to lead a group within the limits of the course content.