British Judo Association
- www.britishjudo.org.uk and www.throwyourselfintojudo.com
- Twitter: @BritishJudo
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/britishjudo
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 01509 631670
- Kerry Tansey, Technical Officer - North West, email@example.com, 07967 778121
- Jeff Hynds, Regional Service Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 07854 241095
Judo is an unarmed Olympic combat sport that demands both physical prowess and great mental discipline. It was founded by Jigoro Kano in Japan in the 1880s and has grown in popularity to become one of the most popular individual sports across the globe. Judo translates into English as “the gentle way“.
Judo is the only martial art currently a part of the Paralympics. Visually Impaired or ‘VI’ Judo is a specially adapted form of judo for individuals with visual and other impairments.
Why do Judo?
Judo is a fantastic way to:
- Get fit and build strength
- Increase flexibility and mobility
- Learn discipline and respect
- Learn a new skill
- Build new friendships
- Increase confidence and self-esteem
- Learn in a supportive environment
Two players (called judoka) compete against each other on an 8m x 8m matted area for up to 5 minutes with the player scoring the most points winning the contest.
Scores of varying degrees are awarded for throws, holds and more, with the coveted “ippon” score ending the contest. If the scores are level at the end of the 5 minute period the contest goes to ‘golden score’ with the first person to score any point winning the contest.
What do I need to try Judo?
All you need to try judo is baggy/loose old clothing (something you don’t mind stretching) or basic gym kit – a t-shirt and jogging bottoms. Most judo clubs have a judo jacket they can loan to you for your first session, after which you may choose to purchase a basic judo kit called a judogi (available from JudoStore).
Throw Yourself Into Judo
Throw Yourself Into Judo is British Judo’s national campaign aimed at getting more people to try the sport. As part of the campaign you can download a voucher here to get your first judo session for FREE!
- Click here to find your nearest judo club.
British Judo Association launches ‘Throw Yourself Into Judo’ campaign
On Wednesday the British Judo Association, the national governing body for the Olympic sport of Judo in Great Britain, hosted the launch event of Throw Yourself Into Judo, a new mass-participation initiative aimed at encouraging new people to try the sport.Learn more